Courgetti has been around for a little while, in fact , I think we all got a little over it as it was everywhere atone point. But I have to say that I do still make one courgetti dish regularly. I love it so much that I thought I should share the love.
It’s naturally low carb, high in good fats and protein and most importantly is extremely tasty and very quick. from start to finish, I can get this on the plates in around 10 minutes.
To make this delicious dish, that serves two, you will need:
50g Pancetta or streaky bacon field diced
2 egg yolks – (you could use the whites to make egg white chips – I’ll pop a recipe up for these delicious nuggets of joy very soon…)
25g Pecorino Cheese and – 25g Parmesan cheese finely grated. (Don’t worry if you only have one of these cheeses handy, just double up with what you have, it will still taste divine.)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed with the back of a knife.
Salt and black pepper
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl with all but a handful of the finely grated parmesan and pecorino cheeses. (You need to save a handful to sprinkle on top at the end!) Add a twist or three of black pepper and a pinch of salt. Beat together until well combined and set aside.
- Finely dice your pancetta or bacon. Set aside.
- Spiralize your courgettes or if you don’t own a spiralizer, make some courgette ribbons instead using your veg peeler. Set aside.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves. You want them to remain whole, just bruise them by crushing them beneath the flat side of you knife. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan or Wok over a medium heat, add the butter. Once melted and bubbling add the pancetta and the bruised garlic cloves and lower the heat. Gently fry the pancetta and garlic in the butter. You don’t want to add colour, just a very gentle fry for a few minutes should cook the pancetta until translucent and the garlic will emit all the flavour it needs into the butter.
- After 5 minutes of very gentle frying, remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Turn up the heat a little until bubbly and add your courgetti. Coat it in the garlicky butter and pancetta and keep it moving in the pan for just 2 minutes. If your courgettes are very wet, once the two minutes are up, drain off some of the excess liquid. You don’t want soup!
- Quickly add the egg yolk and cheese mix to the pan and remove from the heat. Gently lift the courgetti up and drop down and repeat to coat the strands as the sauce gently thickens in the residual heat of the pan. You don’t want to scramble the egg yolk, just heat it gently to thicken it slightly to create your sauce.
- Once everything is coated twist the courgetti between two forks and pile onto warmed plates.
- Top with the remaining cheese and eat immediately!