This is fab. Easy and quick and it will make the most of this season’s delicious pears.
They are also sugar free, Gluten Free, Grain Free Paleo and most importantly of all – delicious.
In this recipe I use a little brown rice syrup. This is wonderful stuff, it contains no fructose – which is the bit in sugar that causes all the problems. I get my BRS from these marvellous people online, http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk but it is available in all kinds of places these days.
If you want to be strict and keep this recipe truly sugar free by make your own chocolate with cocoa butter and raw cacao powder. I do get that most of you won’t have this in your store cupboards though!
You will need a fluted flan/tart tin – it’s best to line with baking- paper and butter/grease well.
Set your oven to around 160 C
3 eggs Separated
100g at least 70% cocoa chocolate – the more cocoa the less the sugar…
75 g Butter or coconut oil
60g Sukrin Gold – This is wonderful stuff. Stevia based sweetener – no insulin spike and absolutely no aspartame.
40-60g Brown Rice Syrup – the quantity you use is dependant upon how sweet you like your cakes…
100g Ground Almonds
2 -3 ripe pears or if not ripe, poach them until soft. I like to use orange juice and a couple of cardamom cloves as my poaching liquor.- peel, slice into quarters and pour over orange juice to cover and add a couple of cardamom pods. pop a couple of tablespoons of your favourite sweetener – rice syrup or whatever you prefer to sweeten. Simmer for 30 mins until the pears are soft (but not squishy…)
- Gently melt the chocolate and butter together – I use a microwave in 30 seconds bursts, you can use a double boiler if you like. Stir once melted and add the sukrin gold and the Brown Rice Syrup and set aside to cool slightly.
- Crack the eggs and place the whites in a clean mixing bowl and add the yolks along with the ground almonds to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir well.
- Whip up the egg whites until soft peaks emerge.
- Dollop about a third of the egg whites onto the choc mixture and mix with a spoon to loosen the mixture, then carefully fold in the remaining whites.
- Dollop a into your lined and greased flan tin, and smooth the surface a little.
- Peel and core your pears and cut into 6 pieces for each pear, leaving you with the exact amount to squish gently on top of your chocolate batter.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, remove from the tin once cool, sprinkle with more cocoa powder if you like and serve with crème fraiche, or a dollop of cream.
*if you fancy being a bit fancy… You can add the crushed seeds of around 7 cardamom pods to the chocolate mix before folding in the egg whites. It will work beautifully with the both the chocolate and the pears.