Bread is what most of us miss if we are watching our weight, or avoiding the carbs.
This is a simple – quick bread recipe, no wheat, grains or anything carby. It takes 3minutes to mix and 30 minutes to bake. No kneading, no proving and it is really tasty.
The only thing that you might not have heard of is the psyllium husks in it. Loads of gluten free and low carb baking is using this wonder product these days. It’s brilliant stuff, its the husks of the seeds of the Plantago Ovata plant and acts a little like gluten to work in binding things together.
Don’t be afraid of using products you haven’t come across before. It can really open up your repertoire and keep things interesting.
You can get it online and in health food shops. A little goes a really long way and a pack will last you for ages. It is fabulous for keeping us regular(!) and a wonderful low carb essential in your home kitchen.
This recipe makes 8 ‘baps’
You will need:
250g Ground almonds
40g Psyllium Husks
1 tablespoon Sesame seeds (optional as a sprinkle on top…)
- Preheat your oven to 160ºC
- Weigh out the ground almonds and psyllium husks, pinch salt and mix together.
- Crack in the eggs and give it a good mix until it resembles a stickyish dough.
- Shape into eight balls and place on a lined baking tray. (if your baking tray is small – you might need 2!)
- Press down with your fingers to flatten the balls a little into ‘bap’ shapes.
- Sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top of each one should you feel the need.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 160ºC.
- Remove, split, slather in butter or cheese or slip some perfectly cooked rashers of bacon between them and eat with abandon. Hoorah!